Rainwater Harvesting 2011– Moving our Communities toward More Sustainable Water Use
Tuesday, October 18
9:00am - 4:15pm
Onslow County Multipurpose Complex, Jacksonville, NC
Coastal communities are starting to think about where tomorrow's water will come from. Will there be enough water to meet the demands of a growing population? How will a changing climate affect water availability? Can we afford the cost of treating water used for non-potable uses?
There are many uses of water that do not require pristine drinking water, such as irrigation, vehicle washing, and toilet flushing. There are many non-traditional sources of water that can meet these needs, including harvested rainwater.
The goal of this workshop is to promote rainwater harvesting as a means of meeting future water demands. The target audience is local government officials, including elected and appointed officials, planners, public works staff, and administrators.
The workshop will:
- Explain North Carolina’s new rainwater harvesting plumbing codes;
- Discuss the health risks of using harvested rainwater;
- Provide an example of how a North Carolina water and sewer authority is metering rainwater for input into their sewer system;
- Explain the basics of cistern sizing and siting, including lessons learned;
- Provide examples of rainwater harvesting at the local scale; and
- Get feedback from participants on what kind of assistance they need to make rainwater harvesting a reality at their public buildings and/or in their communities.
This is a FREE workshop!
American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) will receive 6.5 Certification Maintenance (CM) credits for participation.
Registration is required, please click the "Register" button below to secure your spot at the workshop. If you have not registered on our site before, please create a user login first. Once your user login is created, come back to this page to register. A registration confirmation email will be automatically be sent once your registration is complete.
If the workshop is full, please add your name to the waitlist, as space often becomes available. Please note that you will receive a confirmation email, however you are on the waitlist until you receive an email stating that a spot has opened for you.